Thursday, September 6, 2012

It Pays to be Green!

As of September 6, 2012, I have logged 5,185 gas-free miles in my ActiveE.  Actually, 400 of those miles were driven by any number of strangers before I took delivery of the car.  That leaves me with 4,785 gas free miles from mid May to now.



Had I driven those same miles in my GMC Yukon, which gets around 15 mpg when I'm driving it, I would have used 319 gallons of gas.  At an average of $4.25 per gallon, that comes to a whopping $1,355.75 over three and a half months.  Or $387 per month that I am not spending on gasoline.

If I subtract the $387 I am saving per month against the E's monthly lease payment of around $538 (with taxes), that leaves me with a net monthly car payment of about $150.  Not bad for a BMW.

What does it cost me to charge my E at home you ask?  Nothing because I have solar power.    I am credited with .54 cents per kWh during the day for the solar power I produce, but I only use power at around .15 cents per kWh by charging the E between midnight and 6:00 a.m.   So I can charge the E and have some power left over to offset my home utility usage.

It really does pay to be green.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment